Now to the important stuff----It snowed!
It was like Christmas
Seriously better than Santa Clause. And again, we will be moving to Montana one day. I need snow, I miss snow. I miss space. (okay, not that I've ever lived where there's tons of space, but still.) And aren't all writer's supposed to live in Montana, or Oregon or Minnesota or Wisconsin or Vermont?
We got report cards on Friday. Hysterical. I'm so glad I talked to someone (I can't remember who) and got the advise to let your kid make mistakes now in Elementary School. Let them forget to turn things in and pay the consequences now, before it matters. To let them learn how to be responsible when their nine and not learning all that much anyway (sad but true). So that's what I'm doing. My kids have to do homework for a certain amount of time each day, but they can decide what they do. I don't check their work unless they ask for help, and I don't help very much. Mary is learning some hard lessons this year. But she is learning them. For the first time ever, she is learning to bring her assignments home, because if she doesn't and she gets points off for not turning things in, she can't play. I wish I could be as wise as Sister Hinckley and never ground my children, but with Mary, it's all that works. Playing with friends is all she really cares about. The girl is brilliant, but doesn't care about teachers or grades or getting applause for her brilliance. But she does care about playing. And she came home from school thrilled because she didn't get a 2 in the spot that says turning in homework. If she did, (again), she couldn't play for two weeks. So phew, I'm going to teach this girl to care and be responsible if it kills me, and her, and her social life I suppose. Now, how to teach Lucy not to care so much!
More pictures of fun outside before the snow!
Stair steps!!! Too bad if we have another it will be a giant step from Flannery down! Oh well.
1 comment:
Love the stairsteps! And do you read the pioneer woman blog? She'll fuel your dreams of Montana (but I think she's in Oklahoma or some place). www.thepioneerwoman.com. I agree that this is a good time to let them learn self-sufficiency before it goes on their record. Enjoy the snow!
Post a Comment